Without doubt the fastest and most basic storage system in any computer is its internal storage itself. Normally, people prefer to keep their precious and confidential data in their computer hard drive. Allowing it to crash is a suicidal mission. You can find out ‘n’ number of reasons, why a hard drive fails in its operation. Estimation of the hard disk life span is so hard to accomplish. The structure of hard disk is so delicate, it may look tough from outside but it is actually not.
The computer hard drive consists of many number of thin magnetic plates aligned parallel to each other. And each plate contains at least one head for reading and writing. If both side write is available then there will be at least two heads in the plates. These heads are positioned in such a way that none of it will disturb the other. For any reason, if the alignment is disturbed then one or more plates get spoiled. And the foremost reason for disturbing alignment is clearly the mishandling of hard disks
Understanding the hard drive failure:
In most cases people will hardly follow what is happening within the system, when it comes to hard drive failure it is no different. You can sense the hard drive failure. A failing hard disk will give warning in most cases:
- Listen to the sounds (hard disk makes some kind of noise, which is abnormal than usual) produced by the system.
- The computer often freezes during the boot up process.
- After doing all optimizing tricks, still your system works too slowly.
- Over heat around and above where the hard disk is seated.
Hard disk is bound to failure some day or the other. But what you can do is to make the hard disks live longer. To keep a backup of data in hard disk you can also rely on several cloud services like Google drive.
- First and foremost always handle with care, reduce the chances of falling, keep it safely out of the reach of children, and ensure it’s away from humidity and heat.
- If you can’t access some parts of your hard drive then you can make use of CHKDSK to scan the hard drive.
- In most cases people often forgets to do the maintenance tasks which is already there in the system tools of your system. Do regular defragmentation, this will allow to save the number, of rotations which is required to retrieve and locate the needed files. My suggestion is to do defragmentation every month.
- If you are leaving the computer for a while then shut down your hard disk, you can set automatic shutdown after 20 min, if in case you are not in need to use the system for next 20 min.
- You can keep check on HDD temperature, several freeware is available in market to so this. The moment you see an alert that HDD is too hot than it normally do. Ensure your vents are opened and fans are working properly.
- Using Windows DOS command you can also check hard disk health in Windows 7 and Windows 8.